Saturday, June 13, 2009

Our Family Words

Does your family have a word or two that are known just among your family members? I was thinking about such words the other day after Rylie said one of them. I thought maybe I should correct her and teach her the right word for the occasion, but I find it so cute when she uses it that I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm guessing most familyies have their own unique set of family words. It is kind of fun to think about. We tried to write down all of the Walter Words the other evening after dinner. These are what we ended up with:

Chock - Chocolate Milk (I've heard cousins use this word too - I'm not sure where it started!)

Churgot - Rylie's word for forgot. I love churgot - this is the word I couldn't correct the other day!

Nakie OOkie - Anyone who spends just a little time with us will hear this phrase. It is what we call our kids when they run around naked (or partially naked, as is more likely the case). OOkie comes from our kid's Karate class. Their instructor teased the kids with this word which he said means "dummy" in Japanese. Somehow, we ended up with Nakie OOkie.

Crappa - Another Rylie word. This is what she called her Grandpa VanVleet for quite awhile.

Shells n Sauce - This is what we call the good ol' family standby for dinner: pasta shells with tomato sauce and cheddar cheese. This word isn't that original, but my siblings all have their own names for the meal that we grew up on. Ty and Joy call it VanVleet Macaroni and Cheese. I can't remember what the other names are - I will have to ask everyone again.

wussat - means "What's That" This has been each of my kid's, except Rylie's, first word. They each said it a million times a day as babies. Even Cali says wussat. Rylie's first word was "BuhBob" for Sponge Bob. That is a little embarrassing because it is my fault she heard it so often. She was a cryer as a baby and we were in an apartment while our house was being built so I couldn't let her cry that much. I ended up holding her almost non-stop for 6 months. To pass time late at night, while holding her, I played the SpongeBob video game. I got a little obsessed. The poor girl was raised on Sponge Bob Squarepants and still LOVES that show today.

No comments:

Post a Comment