Tuesday, January 5, 2010

San Juan Capistrano Mission

Our First Field-Trip of the New Year!

On Monday, I took Ellie, Justin, and Rylie to the San Juan Capistrano Mission! All Fourth-Graders in California have to do a "mission project". We decided to actually visit the nearest mission (about 52 mi. south of us, towards San Diego) so Justin could take pictures for his report.








It was a fun trip, even though Rob and Cali couldn't go. At the last minute we noticed one of the tires on the van had some strange damage, so we had to take Rob's car that doesn't fit us all! I actually drove the kids myself. That is a big deal for me! I still get nervous about driving California's freeways!








The mission is beautiful and AMAZING! These ruins are from the original cathedral built in the late 1700's, and destroyed a short time later by an earthquake that occurred during Mass, killing 40 people.







The kids enjoying the Gold Rush exhibit!







3 comments:

  1. I hate that we got sick and couldn't go. You look like you had a lot of fun and Well Done for venturing out on the freeways by yourself... You're a real Californian now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I'm terribly sorry you go sick too! And not just because you couldn't go, but because what you got is SO awful. We do always love it when you can join us on our trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EWWW I hope Julie didnt get THE STOMACH ILLNESS. Anyways, dad would have loved the gold rush part. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete